Thursday, November 17, 2011

Intro to Scout Sniper Airsoft and Explanation part 1

Well first off I have been airsofting now for 3 years now. Before I began airsofting I played paintball for 12 years, 1 of which were for a semi-professional team. I grew tired of all of the annoying kids that would show up at the field in their shiny new pants and shirts that mommy and daddy bought for them, with very little respect for anything. The cost of paintball began to get ridiculous as I gained more and more responsibility in life.

Knowing nothing of airsoft but the clear plastic guns I saw at walmart I never thought anything of it. After a year away from paintball I needed to get back out in the woods and do some hunting of the two legged kind. I stumbled upon scout the doggies you tube page and my eyes were opened to a whole new world.

With a very supportive wife and the approval to spend the funds this is where my airsoft addiction began. Armed with my JG MP5 (yes they stilled called them that when I got it) I sought out a local airsoft group here in Washington State, 1st-Sword. My first official operation (non backyard kind) was on February 21st 2009 at the Shelton field.

Armed with 12 years experience of paintball I was ready to show up all of these sissy airsofters. Well lets just say that didn't happen. used to a 50' range I wouldn't even shoot at people 150' away, there was shock and surprise on my face when I was getting shot out by people that seemed so far away. Between the range and the fact that BB's can cut through bushes I pretty much got shot out the whole time. I had a blast and was hooked. I knew that I had so much more to learn.

With the help of "Jaws" and airsoft mechanics I began to learn the innerworkings or AEG's. Though my true passion was found when I purchased my first BASR (bolt action sniper rifle). It was rough at first as the game play and dynamics of a airsoft sniper are vastly different than that of your casual rifleman. My first rifle was a well MB05 that I actually played with in its stock configuration for about 3 games. I barely passed the sniper qualification test with it and I think I shot out maybe 2 people in 3 games, I needed to upgrade.


1st BASR after upgrades (top one)

After pouring several hundreds of dollers into my MB05 I created a beast that has been felt by many.

My obssesion for airsoft continued. It wasn't until I met another local sniper named "fish" that I saw the tactical advantages to wearing a ghillie suit. It was then that I began my other hobby of making ghillie suits. I wish that I had documented my process all along but I have studied several texts and talk with many military snipers trying to find a balance between real world and airsoft world for the right combination of materials for ghillie suits. Although I dont always wear one I am definately a fan.


my most current ghillie

Early on in my airsofting career I wanted to start a "Team". Myself as well as a few other local airsofters who were new to the scene formed Operational Detachment Omega (ODO).

Please stay tuned for more

No comments:

Post a Comment